Friday, December 22, 2006

revised opinions again

Today at lunch I was sitting with a girl who has been nothing but sweetness to me since I've arrived- she doesn't really speak english so much, so we just smile a lot and she invites me to lunch, etc. And I asked her a question... there is nothing, nothing worse than watching someone, knowing they understood your question, trying to formulate a response. It is the most awkward, horrible embarassing silence ever. And that is why I want to learn Korean, I think. To end that. People are totally willing to communicate within their abilities, if I approach. But when their abilities are not sufficient, I don't want them to feel bad or awkward, it's me that doesn't speak THEIR language, the native tongue of this country. Thus, with the help of my Korean tutor, and the independent study I do, I will master this, or at least get to a point where I can communicate at least reasonably within a month. I have the time, I have the motivation, there's no reason why this won't happen...
hope springs eternal.

No comments: