Thursday, November 30, 2006

a couple of yarns...

So I sucked it up last night, and armed with no less than 6 pages to help me translate fibers and labels, needlesizes and yarn types, I went to the local yarn shop in Hogye. It was a small little deal, probably about the same amount of stock as The Knit Cafe on Queen Street W. in Toronto, but the selection was not nearly so luscious...

After what seemed like hours of hunting, me desparately trying to say "cotton-wool blend" in Korean, and translating Japanese to English I ended up with some great finds... I scored some great mohair blends from Japan, some purple wool from origins unknown and a few balls of pink angora - one of my co-teachers has an adorable baby girl, and after feeling this wool, I knew that a hat (and maybe mittens!) must be made! No cotton-wool blends though, which means that the two sweaters I want to get started on are on-hold indefinitely - until I decide to order yarn online, or find more yarn stores to check out (not an easy task, I'm still not sure how to say the word "knitting"...)

Thank you for staying with me during my knit-tastic digression above. Now for some more digressing. Welcome to Dongmakgol. You must see this movie. I will be sending Jess a copy (subtitles included) so borrow it from her. It's really good - very funny and very sad at times too. About the Korean War, and soldiers who find themselves in a village blissfully unaware of the war.

The book that my elementary school co-teacher gave me is waaaaaay above my level. If anyone knows what " 별이 총총한 한밤충이었어요. " means, please post it in the comments section. I am hoping to move beyond the first line (maybe even onto the second page!) by next Tuesday.

The kimchi post is coming as soon as I can get the photos. I promise.

1 comment:

Melbine said...

Apparently Welcome to Dongmakgol is not on zip.ca's list. The only thing close is Welcome Back, Mr. McDonald - a Japanese film?? Weird.

Anyway, I hope you find a cotton-wool blend somewhere in that country!

Can't help you with the bizarro squares translation. Need a bit of Dutch translated?