Thursday, November 09, 2006

I got a haircut!

This is totally self-indulgent lame posting, but I got a haircut and it's important that I share this with you. Getting a haircut here is kind of like going to Coupe Bizzarre in Toronto, telling the hairdresser to do something fun, closing your eyes and hoping that you don't come out with a euro-mullet. Which happened to me, by the way, the last time I went to Coupe Bizzarre. Getting a haircut here is quite similar. Except it's because my current vocabulary doesn't include the words "long bangs" or "not too short". I went to a place that I walk by on my way home most days. Whenever I walk by, if they're outside, they smile and are friendly. So, to Tto Tto Hair Salon!

I walked in, all bashful smiles, and said "Hair Cut?" while miming my hair being cut, with my fingers as scissors... they smile, welcome me, and it is clear at once that they speak more English than I speak Korean, but barely. It was actually quite fun, because there aren't many wae-gooks (foreigners) around Hogye, so I was totally a novelty. AND I understood some of what they were saying to me in Korean!! Woooo! So, showed her how short, showed her the layers, showed her my bangs, and she looked a bit nervous, but went to work on it.

And voila:


I think I like it, but I'll wait until tomorrow to pass official judgement because lord only knows how it's going to react when I try to style it myself.

I wish I had a before shot (if anyone in Korea has a photo of me with my hair down, please send it over!). All the photos I have of myself, I've got my hair up in pigtails, ponytail, whatever. But it was SO long that it was past my collarbone - for me, that's really superlong.

Oh, best part. I asked how much it was, she told me 7,000 w. Seriously. That's, like, $7.00. For cut, shampoo, dry etc. I had been prepared to pay much more, so I left a generous tip (in Korea, tipping is usually not done, but I explained it is a Canadian custom for a good haircut!)

Another day, another adventure. It's funny how the simplest things have become tasks that I am now proud to have accomplished on my own!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks AWESOME!!! but i will wait to see what it looks like when you style it yourself... looks a bit short for pigtails... i'll look around for pics of you "before"... ;)

Anonymous said...

looks good, Kat. Mom would approve.

Melbine said...

I agree with everyone - very cool! How's it looking these days?

I have a pic of you from Koemi's wedding, which was what, a week before you left?

katrina said...

The haircut is doing ok - it totally goes flippy and out of control, but I don't have the will to fight with it, so flippy hair it is!

AND it's still long enough for pigtails (which means, Liz, that you can TOTALLY put your hair in pigtails!)