Wednesday, May 23, 2007

who knew...

This week is a week for me scratching my head, smiling with wonder and saying "Who Knew??"

1- For example, who knew that when left alone with about 8 random teachers at my school, any and all communication with the other teachers would be done in Korean, English or Konglish (with absolutely NO assistance from the 2 English teachers here whatsoever...)

The who-knew in this case has nothing to do with the English teachers. It has everything to do with the amount of effort the other teachers have been making to communicate with me ~ and me with them ~ especially considering most of them speak very little English and my Korean is pretty sketchy :-) I think they're a bit surprised by the whole thing, too. I'm just happy that I understand what's going on!!

2- Who knew that there was another dong further north of Hogye, that I could accidentally find myself lost in at 10pm at night. When will I ever learn that shortcuts are usually not shortcuts and winding roads are not a good idea in unfamiliar and dark surroundings... I think I'll go back in the daylight...

3- Who knew how much fun it is just to screw around on my bike and tear up and down the local streets and trails etc... sometimes I get so into the fun of riding distances or commuting that I forget just to screw around and have a blast hotdogging, practicing technique or whatever else.

Really, it's been a quiet week - no kids - and I miss teaching. Long weekend starts tomorrow (that's right, Thursday and Friday off work.) All of the kids are on a field trip right now.

So lesson planning and Korean-learning and documentary-watching it's been!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

you are much too lucky my dear. i have no teaching on friday (as i found out only from accidentally bumping into one of the teachers from school #2) but still have to go and sit... at least i've been forewarned and can bring a book... and my computer... sopranos all day sounds like fun! i also have to go in monday, tuesday, wednesday while the kiddies are away... no rest for the wicked, i suppose. when, oh, when will they learn that a little time off goes a VERY long way? have a great weekend... sorry i won't be seeing you... i will, however, be in pohang on saturday... unless i don't get paid, which we all know is a possiblity... ok. enough. sorry... should have written all this on MY blog instead of saying i had nothing to say!!! hahahaha! miss you see you next weekend!