Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Lost!

No, not the t.v. show, this is about Katrina-the-cyclist. And how after school today, I decided to go exploring -- 1/2 an hour, I was going to give myself. An hour later, so absolutely confused and surrounded by nothing but mountains and farmers fields, I was so lost I actually started to worry a bit. That, and I was getting really sick of biking up and down mountain foothills, trying to find my way. Doubled back a bit, and I finally found a familiar sign... pointing to the Carrefour (department store), a few kilometers away. And in the right direction I went.

Lesson learned. Don't travel to parts unknown without phrasebook and a charged cell phone. Also, no camera, can't share the beautiful things I saw... (beautiful things are more beautiful when you have some idea of your actual location in relation to anything else familiar, by the way).

On the upside, students who saw me riding through their neighbourhoods (upon my return) now think I'm some amazing thing because my ride back was mostly no-hands...

Oh, and to those who don't believe my students are everywhere - today two different students came up and told me about their random "Katrina-sightings" -- one in Shinae (the old downtown) and one in Samsondong (the new downtown) -- both over 1/2 an hour by bus from my 'hood. I don't even remember when I was in Samsondong... I hope whenever I was there, I was behaving teacherly!

1 comment:

Melbine said...

Ha-ha! That's great. Very Katrina. And I'm very impressed that you can cycle with no hands. I'm way too klutzy for that business..