Thursday, January 04, 2007

oops...

Um, you know how I just proudly gushed about finishing Chris's hat, and how it's all superawesome because it's my first fair-isle style project? Well, all that pain and agony will have to be repeated, the hat is a shade too small and so I'm going to frog it all the way back to the earflaps (essentially, I'm starting over again). It will therefore be both my first and second fair-isle style project. Or does it just count as one project?
hrm.

(shhh! don't tell Chris - I told him that it would be hardly any work and that's a bold-faced lie, it will take me many many many hours of counting stitches and untwisting tangled yarn but I don't want to give him a hat that he won't wear, right?)

Aaaah, my knitting is truly my constant companion this month!!

If Na-Young's sweater doesn't fit, I swear to god I will scream. Knitting for people (surprise gifts) is not as easy as it looks - how do you nonchalantly attack someone's head with a tape measure to ensure accuracy?

On a different note, met more foreigners (and Koreans) tonight. One of the (newish) girls said that she's here to break through all the inequities (I'm paraphrasing) that we (women) deal with here - I'm not sure at all that it's any of my business to do such a thing though. As much as I'm a feminist and believe in equality for all, this isn't my culture to change. I am happy to speak about the issues if asked, but when not asked, I respect the culture as it stands.

To me, that sentiment is no different than a particular super-power government deciding to bring their own brand of democracy to the world. Change like that doesn't come from foreigners, it needs to come from the people who are the members of society -- who actually fully understand the constructs of the society. The Korean language is structured based on hiarchy and respect. There is no first person/second person/third person or plural in the verb conjugation. It's all about the hiarchy and where you fit in to it. To abolish hiarchy would be absolutely revolutionary in a linguistic sense, too, I think.

No comments: