Thursday, February 15, 2007

Auntie Katrina answers your questions about Western culture...

Sometimes, it's part of my job to be an ambassador of Western Culture here in Korea, and this means answering people's questions, no matter how unusual... take today for example:

Q:
Do you know the song, it is about thongs?

A: Yes, it's called "The Thong Song".

Q: Oh, I like that song. I looked up "thong" in the dictionary, it is like a bikini?

A: Kind of, yes... but thongs are, um, smaller.

Q: Do you know who sings that song?

A: No. Sorry, I can't remember.

Twenty minutes passes...

Q: I really like that song, "The Thong Song". Are thongs popular in Canada?

A: Yes, many girls have thongs. (I then explained Visible Panty Line and comfort reasons, but it's hard to write my explanation because it involved gestures too...)

Q: I looked on the internet at thongs. Do you have any thongs?

A: Yes, of course I do. (We were in my apartment at this point... I this close to opening my underwear drawer to show him a couple of my thongs)

Q: Oh. They are very popular in Canada and America?

A: Yes, they are. Are they popular in Korea?

Q: No. Well, not in my house. My mother and my sister - I have never seen any in my house.

A: Oh. Ok.

Q: So it is a good gift for a girlfriend?

A: Um, yes. (I really hope he wasn't referring to a girl who is his friend!)

Q: Do you know who sings that song?

A: I think it was Sisqo.

Now boys and girls, (if there's anyone reading this) I would love for you to hazard a guess as to who this person is that I was talking to, and what my relationship with them is. (And no, it's not Liz's former co-teacher)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! my former co-teacher! that's great... literally laughed out loud LOL!!!!

and ooh! ooh! is it chris?!!?!?!

no, really, is it YOUR new co-teacher? i hope not...

katrina said...

nope, not chris, and not my co-teacher... and not cbfw either...

Anonymous said...

is it your boss? Korean boy-toy?